Before we discuss the application of induction motor in daily life needs to study types of induction motors.
According to the power supply
- Single-phase induction motor.
- Three-phase induction motor.
Single-phase induction motor can divide four types according to their construction and starting methods.
- Split phase motor.
- Capacitor starts motor.
- Capacitor start capacitor run motor.
- Shaded pole motor.
Three-phase induction motors can divide two types according to their construction and starting methods.
- Squirrel cage induction motor
- Slip ring induction motor
Now discuss the application of induction motor.
Single-phase induction motor applications
Split phase induction motors
This type of motor is not used for drives that require more than 1 KW because it has low starting torque.
- Washing machine
- Drilling and lathe machine
- Centrifugal pump
- Blowers and mixer grinder
Capacitor start induction motors
These motors are used for the loads of higher inertia where frequent starting is required.
- Pumps and compressors
- Refrigerator and air conditioner compressors
- Conveyors and machine tools
Capacitor start capacitor run motor
They are used for loads of higher inertia requiring frequent starts where the maximum pull-out torque and efficiency required are higher.
- Pumping equipment
- Air compressors
Shaded pole motor
They are suitable for small devices
- Exhaust fans
- Hairdryers and also in table fans
- Air conditioning and refrigeration equipment and cooling fans
- Record players, tape recorders
- Projectors, photocopying machines
Three Phase induction motors applications
Squirrel cage induction motors
Squirrel cage induction motors are commonly used in many industrial applications. They are particularly suited for applications where the motor must maintain a constant speed, be self-starting, or there is a desire for low maintenance.
- Centrifugal pumps
- Industrial drives
- Large blowers and fans
- Machine tools
- Lathes and other turning equipment
Slip ring induction motor
Slip ring-rotor motor is a type of induction motor where the rotor windings are connected through slip rings to external resistance. its speed can control without any outer motor control equipment.
- Hoists, elevators
- Printing presses, and industrial purposes